Crash tested…

Today, a little more 3D art to clear the palette of all the 2D stuff of late. This character was the high poly version of a character used in a demo I worked on at Torc Interactive for GDC in 2004. You can see the low poly version in spine-breaking action below.

The images below were rendered in 3dsmax with Mental Ray with DOF in post.

Advertisements

~ by petemcnally on September 6, 2011.

9 Responses to “Crash tested…”

  1. Hi Pete,

    Nice renders!

    What DOF post plugin did you use?

    Eoin

    • Hi Eoin, thanks. It was either Richard Rosenman’s DOF plugin or Frishluft Lenscare, I can’t remember which to be honest. Both are valid solutions if you have a good zdepth channel.

  2. Loved that demo. Loved the piano in the “audio room”. I think that was my first full map.. happy days man.

  3. Me too, it was a great map, full kudos to you. Interesting to explore the rooms and fun to boot! Would you believe that the lowest crash test dummy model had a paltry 600 tris?!

  4. Hi Pete,

    Yeah we have used both of those DOF solutions but have found on high resolution images (as in our case) that artifacting is hard to avoid….

    Thanks!

    Eoin

  5. Hi Peter, Phil Griffin here. Did you animate that entire sequence above?

    • Hey Phil, thanks for checking out the blog. The clip is actually a recording of a fully interactive demo, a sort of mini game that we did to highlight graphics and physics fatures of the time. So you could play it like an FPS but interact with the game world around you in ways that were not common at the time. There were about 10 of us working on this over the course of a few months, 4 artists, 2 level designers and about 4 coders I think. I worked on the title sequences, weapon and character models/textures and world objects on this demo.

      Pete

  6. Do you use Mental Ray for your images? If so, have you tried the ‘bokeh’ lens shader? I tried it on a scene a while back and was impressed by the quality, 720p render but i’m not sure how it would stack up on your ultra high res stuff. I’ve heard if you render your zdepth aliased at twice the target render size, do your DOF in post and then reduce the image to the target output size it can help with artifacting. Again, when the images are already huge I guess any rendering at higher res than needed could be prohibitive! Let me know if you come across a robust solution.

    Pete

  7. Great website…

    Cool post, I really enjoyed reading it. I will check out your site for some more content on this subject….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: