Quigley’s Rock…

•September 1, 2016 • Leave a Comment

Recently I spent a week in Inishowen, Donegal where I took a tripod, monopod, laser measuring tape, Macbeth card and a Nikon DSLR with the express purpose of taking a holiday but also doing some proper 3D scans when I could🙂 Long photogrammetry sessions were impossible on some coastal trips up there, but I did manage to get quite a few partial scans, three or four decent ones and I learnt a truckload during the exercise. Right now I’m in the process of trying to mesh the scans and break them up into usable modular assets as part of a full “Irish Coast” biome, including LODs at 16k, 8k, 4k and 2k tris.

I’ve refined my pipeline a bit too, incorporating Substance Painter 2 into the mix (it has useful simultaneous multiple texture painting features that have been a huge time saver in the mesh cleanup process) and I’ve had a look at Megascans too, which promises to be an essential part of working with PBR. Here is one of the scans that required the least amount of cleanup, click for large versions.






Here is a comparison of the LODs, from 16k tris (nearest) down to 2k at the back




Finally, here is a link to a Marmoset Viewer version that you can navigate in realtime on my Artstation page. (You can move the light by holding shift and mousing around)





Lookdev experiments II…

•August 9, 2016 • Leave a Comment

As you’ll have noticed I’ve been running a lot of art through Prisma lately, don’t worry, it’ll stop soon. But not before I post some of my experiments in non-photorealistic rendering!

While looking through Google Photos the other day I searched for “rocks”, I was sure I had taken a bunch of landscape pictures ages ago for scanning that I hadn’t used and the search turned up a few. These were taken about 3 years ago, on a smartphone, while pushing a buggy on a broken path, so the quality wasn’t particularly good. I figured if they wouldn’t cut the mustard for a realistic prop, I’d try something non-photoreal with them, maybe something that might feel at home in Okami or Child of Light. Although Agisoft Photoscan processed them into a 3D model quite well, there were some large holes which required fixing in Mudbox, and also missing texture information which I’m currently patching up. I made a low poly version and unwrapped it, baking out normals, ambient occlusion and albedo from the high res scan. I took the albedo texture generated and painted over it in Photoshop using some custom brushes and standard filters to see how if I could get a hand painted feel (the Prisma servers were down, this happens a lot!). I then applied similar techniques to the normal map, removing high frequency detail and generally softening most areas. I also added some geometry for a cel-shaded outline effect. Here are the results of this in real-time:

Prisma came back up last night and I ran the albedo through some of the filters that wouldn’t change the hues too much. Here is where I started:


Here are some of the filtered textures, rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2:







Lookdev experiments…

•August 2, 2016 • Leave a Comment

I’ve blogged before about sculpting some Batman character busts for 3D printing, there are now more than a few littering my desk at home, some finished, others abandoned. I was looking for something to run through the Prisma app on my phone and picked some Joker and Batman prints that I made last year. I ran each image through a number of filters and saved out the results, then hand painted some colour layers and lighting enhancements and composited them together to achieve the looks below.









•July 29, 2016 • Leave a Comment

I lashed a few images into Prisma to see what the consistency would be like between frames, not bad as it turns out, but the workflow is pretty clunky on a phone. I did some optical flow frame blending in After Effects to pad out the animation a little. What do you reckon?


This is what an input frame looked like:


•July 27, 2016 • Leave a Comment

Jumped on the Prisma app bandwagon once it launched on Android, I’m sure we’ll all quickly tire of it but right now I love messing about with the filters! I ran a simple 3d rendered image of my Joker character (no textures, simple lighting) through it and here are the results!

Click to enlarge.



Prisma output (9 variations):


Alternative view:



A couple more:




Another scan…

•July 12, 2016 • Leave a Comment

This sewer cover was shot on my phone, about 50 images, many of which were unnecessary due to the lack of depth in the manhole cover. Lighting conditions were good, a cloudy Irish Summer day. I’m including a link to the raw scan fbx file and an 8k diffuse texture, if you’re interested you can grab them here. Use as you like, let me know if you make anything cool!

Rendered in VRay, processed using Agisoft Photoscan.








Punk Photogrammetry II…

•May 9, 2016 • Leave a Comment

Shot handheld with a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and generated in Autodesk Memento (now Autodesk Remake, this was a small rubble pile of soil and stone inside a wheel barrow. Albedo and normal maps are 4k, the mesh itself about 2k tris, decimated from a 20 million polygon version. Needs some work before it’s game-ready, but this early test is encouraging. Real-time model rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2.